REJOINDER: We Have Not Abandoned Our Ghanaian Culture


Ayi, my neighbour 24, paid me a visit one Saturday morning. In the course of our conversation, he chipped in a subject of very importance to us all as Ghanaians. What makes you a Ghanaian? What makes me a Ghanaian? Ayi made mention of certain common ethics that cut across every household, tribe and ethnic group; “I recall how my mother will ask me to say thank you whenever I was given anything by someone. I was also asked never to point at a place with my left hand when giving directions to people, never to take something or give something to someone with my left hand, show respect to the elderly by offering them our seats in buses or trains” he said. Growing up as a Ghanaian child, most of us experienced this and have grown by it.  

Ayi claims that today, these values he speaks of seem to be hard to find in our societies.

Yes, I agree but also disagree to the fact that, we Ghanaians have adopted the western culture and have abandoned ours. Ayi, if you are reading this, I will put my mind and lips to rest if you try to understand that society grows, society develops, and society expands. Society will not stay to watch you grow and give birth to your children, and for your children to bear forth children and on and on. NO!

We have not abandoned our Ghanaian culture. Our culture has changed and still changing. Culture is dynamic and for that matter, there is a transformation in our society which is affecting culture and shaping our lives as well.

Herbert Spencer, a British Sociologist took the theory of evolution one step beyond biology and applied it to say that societies are organisms that progress through changes, similar to that of living species. It was his philosophy, that societies will begin simple, and gradually progress into a more complex form. Spencer did not feel the need to correct society because he felt that societies were bound to change automatically. (http://study.com/academy/lesson/herbert-spencer-theory-social-darwinism.html)

Society as small as it looks when formed is like a new born baby. As it grows, it develops new and vibrant features. As the baby crawls, walks, rattles, speak and begin to run errands, there you realize that the baby is changing and maturing. This is exactly how society is like. We are in a Global society, a modernized society where everything is normal. Technology has made life simple for you and you are happy I guess. Why don’t you keep writing letters on telegram and aerogram, and post it to your relatives abroad? Do not expect to see those common practices you used to do as a Ghanaian child in this new society because the society you knew 20 years ago is no more.  

Talking about offering seats to the elderly in our buses has thrown my mind back to a sad moment when I was younger. As a primary 6 pupil, I joined a bus on my way home which was a routine. At a point, the bus became full and people had to stand in the bus in order to get home early. As a respectful boy, I offered my seat to an elderly woman.
Yeeeessss! The bus conductor called; collecting his fair. Unfortunately, I realized that I have misplaced my money which happened to be the last money on me. I courageously told the conductor that I have misplaced my money and apologized, thinking I would be saved. It did not go well for me that day. Words from the lips of most of the passengers in the bus kept piercing my soul like a rapier. I was thrown out of the bus like an outcast. Where were the elders of our society? Where were the elders in the bus? Where was the elderly woman I showed respect to?

AYI! It is time for you to understand the new society in which you are. Embrace it and adjust to it. This is a new society where everything is flexible, simple and normal.
AYI! This is MODERNIZATION. Expect POST-MODERNIZATION.      

Read:
Https://ananistephen.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/the-ghanaian-values-what-makes-you-ghanaian/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SURVIVOR’S TALE; The Story of Apallo

DAAVI

WHO ARE THOSE?